Whether for pleasure or work, travel can derail your health. Sitting by the beach all day or cramped in a conference room often leads to poor eating choices or over eating. International flights can cause several sleepless nights and make you a less than happy camper. Staying healthy when on the road is essential.
Here are a few tips to help you travel healthy.
1. The week before departure, get in a few extra work outs or log some extra daily steps. This will help balance out the excess hours of stagnation or lounging during your vacation. Also, take your USANA supplements daily to strengthen your immune system.
2. On the plane, pass on the alcohol and opt for extra water. Stay hydrated as much as possible. Buy bottled water after you’re through security so you know you’ve got it handy on the plane. The water on a plane is tap water and although it has improved over the years, it still can have germs in it that you don’t want to ingest.
3. Wash your hands after touching anything in an airport or the airplane bathroom. Lather for a full 15 seconds. I also like to travel with hand sanitizer that I get from the health food store that is a bit more natural than the others out there. Wear socks through the security line. Carpet can trap fungus and that’s not something you want to catch before your holiday.
4. Once on the plane or train and in your seat, take a moment to clean the area with some disinfectant wipes. Wipe down video screens, buttons, arm rest, etc. as you don’t know if the last person in that seat may have been sick with a cold or flu. And point the overhead air vent away from your face.
5. Do a little research before leaving to find out if your hotel has a gym as well as find some healthy restaurants in the area. It’s always nice to have a few places where you know you’ll be able to get a good, nutritious meal.
6. Pack snacks. Don’t leave nutrition to chance where you might have to resort to airline food or vending machines. Pack snack bags of nuts or trail mix. Consider USANA’s new smart foods line with their protein shakes and bars. Email me if you want to order some.
7. Take your nutritional supplements. Many people get out of healthy habits when they’re on vacation only to have to get back in shape when they return. I suggest packing USANA’s HealthPak. It has all you need in convenient AM/PM packets so you won’t forget your daily dose and they are super easy to pack. Email me if you want more details or to make an order.
8. When you arrive, do the activities that you would normally be doing at that time of the day. If you’re flight arrives at 9am and you’ve been traveling all night. Go out for breakfast and a walk. Don’t go to bed until your normal bed time. I travel with USANA’s Pure Rest, which is a homeopathic melatonin. Email me if you’d like to order some.
9. I recently found this great herbal travel kit that addresses the most common issues that can result from travel. I never leave home without my herbal travel kit and these formulas are some of my favorites. Below is a detailed description of the formulas in the kit. The cost of the kit is $20. If you would like me to order one for you to pick up at my office, just email me.
The Health Concerns Travel Kit is a compact and portable combination of four of our most effective formulas for treating common travel related conditions. All in convenient sample pack.
The Travel Kit includes:
Cold Away is best used to treat the early stages of colds and flu, which can include fever, sinus and chest congestion, coughing, aversion to wind, headache and throat pain, but can be used at any stage. Cold Away may also be used with throat infections, cold sores, and fevers. Included in a 10-tablet bottle.
Colostroplex and it’s probiotic functions are effective against various G.I. problems, diarrhea, etc. making it a useful for any travel itinerary. Colostroplex is also effective in bolstering the immune system during the stresses of travel. Included in a 10-tablet bottle.
Enteromend treats the symptoms of food intolerance including cramping, intestinal gas, nausea, and heartburn. It can support digestion with a full spectrum of enzymes designed to breakdown carbohydrates, protein, and fats. It is also useful in mitigating the effects of gluten intolerance. Included in a 10-tablet bottle.
Schizandra Dreams treats insomnia and acts as a calming sedative for daytime agitation and anxiety due to the rigors of travel. Included in a 10-tablet bottle.