Something different this week
You might think that tequila as a menopausal health drink might be a little off. But to be honest? It’s just quite invigorating and fun. Sharing something different kind of wonder this week with my favorite cocktail recipe – Tequila!
Since shelter in place, I’ve been missing some things about life before COVID but also taking time to enjoy this time. I am loving nightly family dinners, sleeping longer hours, daily walks with my husband and dog, and a slower pace overall. I really miss treating patients, seeing friends, workout classes, and traveling.
I am able to hike with a good friend, but we haven’t been able to do our monthly “mommy cocktails.” She comes over and we enjoy some kind of fun cocktail. Our time is special and filled with laughter and connecting on a deep level.
Now that the weather is nicer, we decided to have mommy cocktails in the front yard. She brought her blanket and I had mine. We were physically distant on our respective blankets. She brought her own cocktails and my husband was kind enough to make me a spicy margarita. One of my favorite drinks.
Finally, some much needed girlfriend time! And Tequila
I had only enjoyed about 1/2 of my drink, when my dog Scotty spotted another dog through our fence and, in his enthusiasm to bark at the passing dog, he ran right through my cocktail! Ice cubes and limes went flying and my glass tumbled along the walkway. I couldn’t believe it. I’m finally having a mommy cocktail only to have it tossed on the ground right in front of me. We laughed and I did a sort of fake cry as if someone had stolen my favorite toy right out of my hands. My husband was kind enough to whip up another one.
We enjoyed lots of laughs and bonding time. Although we couldn’t hug, like we usually do, we were able to connect on a deep heart level. Just what my soul needed.
Our neighbor’s cat, Franky even stopped by for a visit. Scotty and Franky are great friends. Well, Franky thought it would be fun to crawl under the blanket and Scotty thought it would be fun to pounce on him. In the process, Scotty, once again, pounced through my drink scattering limes and ice cubes in different directions. Damn! I really couldn’t believe it happened again. That’s it. The universe is obviously communicating that I am not supposed to finish this drink! I guess I should have stuck with the green juice.
Going healthy with Tequila
You may be surprised, but when it comes to choosing which alcohol to consume, Tequila is one of the healthier choices. I know, some of you are thinking, Yikes! the last time I drank tequila it was a tray of shots, salt, and limes. Please understand, alcohol is not a healthy drink, but if you are going to consume alcohol, tequila has some health benefits. These benefits are based on high-quality tequila, 100 percent agave tequila.
Five health benefits from Tequila
- Tequila is made from the blue weber agave plant. Surprisingly, this plant contains substances that enhance the absorption of calcium and magnesium in the body, both of which are essential minerals for maintaining bone health.
- Fitness experts recommend tequila over wine ad beer. Since it only has 60 calories per shot when you mix it with seltzer or something light, you can enjoy a light, refreshing drink without adding lots of sugar and calories. And for men, beers can cause hormone imbalances with estrogen, making it harder to build muscle.
- It aids indigestion. The agave plant contains high levels of inulin, which helps the digestive system by growing good bacteria.
- Tequila can help lower your blood sugar. The agave plant has sugars that are non-digestible. That means they act more like dietary fiber and also support the growth of healthful microbes in the mouth and intestines.
- It relaxes and calms the nerves. It’s not meant to be asleep aid, but it will help you relax.
So, what’s the recipe for the spicy margarita drink?
1 1/2 oz high-quality Tequila
3/4 oz Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur
1/2 oz lime juice, use fresh or organic in a bottle
1/2 oz Tres Agave nectar organic
garnish with fresh lime slice
If you need help with any of this, I’m here to support and guide you. Stay safe and well. Donna
Know more about Menopause Reset