I have so many patients who ask which supplements to take. Some even bring in a grocery bag full of all the supplements they’ve purchased to get advice on which ones to take.
I always start with food. Eating whole, nutrient-dense food is the best way to get in your vitamins, but let’s be honest, not everyone can get all the optimal amounts of vitamins on a daily basis. Not to mention, the reduced nutrients in the foods we consume due to farming practices and nutrient depletion in the soil.
But, buyer beware….most supplements are NOT the quality you need and deserve! Please NEVER buy any supplements from third party sellers on Amazon. I’ve written about this in the past and please read my blog post on that if you want more details. It’s just not SAFE.
High-quality nutritional supplements are a key component of my healthy lifestyle and that of my family and patients as well.
What supplements should You take?
There are some “baseline basics” that I recommend and some specific issues that need “extra support”. Here is a great list by Dr. Karen Wolfe.
- High quality, pharmaceutical-grade antioxidant and mineral. This is the foundation for any health support regimen. This covers the basic vitamins and minerals your body needs for day-to-day functions. If you aren’t on a high quality multivitamin that has third party validation, now is the time.
- Daily Probiotic Health (and immune support) begins in the gut. It is integral to the immune system. Look for brands that offer several species of good bacteria.
- Vitamin D (amount depends on your blood test) Blood levels should be above 30 ng/dl, however, optimal levels are probably closer to 50ng/dl for most. Adequate vitamin D status is critical for optimal immune function.
- Pure Fish Oil
What Supplements Should You Take for Immune Support?
Here is a list that I suggest with my patients.
- A high potency multiple vitamin and mineral formula
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- Selenium for anyone with Thyroid issues
- Melatonin. Not just for sleep issues, but as you age your body makes less of it.
- Probiotic Daily
If you would like a functional medicine review of your labs with a plan for which supplements to take, please make an appointment with me and I can customize a play for your optimal health.
Here is a link to the basic supplements I use as well as those I suggest to patients.
If you have any questions, please send me an email. Have a great week. Donna